The anchor is a very early Christian symbol that has been found in the catacombs. It brings together the cross and the various nautical Christian symbols (fish, boat, dolphin), and it symbolizes Christian hope in Christ.
The anchor is also the symbol of St. Clement of Rome, who tradition says was martyred by being tied to an anchor and thrown into the sea.
Related Bible Verses
We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. (Hebrews 6:17)
- Patricia S. Klein, Worship without Words: The Signs and Symbols of Our Faith (2000).
- Carolle E. Whittenmore, ed., Symbols of the Church.
- W.E. Post, Saints, Signs, and Symbols.
- George Wells Ferguson, Signs & Symbols in Christian Art.
- Frederick Rest, Our Christian Symbols.