Aladura Aladura fast facts and introduction
Mix of Anglican, Pentecostal and traditional African beliefs. Strong emphasis on healing and salvation in this life. Afterlife not emphasized.
Spiritual healing is central. Mix of Anglican and African rituals; a prophet plays a prominent role.
Aladura ("Prayer People") is a Yoruba term for various prophet-healing churches that have developed in west Africa since about 1918.
- Date founded: c.1918-1930
- Place founded: West Nigeria
- Founder: various
- Adherents: approx. 1 million
References & Sources
- - "Aladura." Encyclopædia Britannica (Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service, 2005).
- "Aladura." John R. Hinnels, ed., The Penguin Dictionary of Religions, 2nd ed. (Penguin Books, 1997).