The Thirteen Articles of Faith
What does Judaism teach and believe?
However, the great 12th-century Rabbi Maimonides put together "13 Articles of Faith" that he believed every Jew ought to believe. These beliefs have been widely accepted as a proper expression of the Jewish faith and they still appear in Jewish prayer books today.
So while it is not necessary to believe all of these articles to be Jewish - and in fact many Jews would likely question one or more of the articles - they serve as a good general summary of religious Judaism.
The 13 Articles of Faith
Articles 1- 5 articulate truth about God, according to Jewish beliefs
1. God exists
2. God is one and unique
3. God is incorporeal
4. God is eternal
5. Prayer is to God onlyArticles 6 and 7 concern prophets in Jewish history
6. The prophets spoke truth
7. Moses was the greatest of the prophetsArticles 8 and 9 refer to the sacred texts of Judaism
8. The Written and Oral Torah were given to Moses
9. There will be no other TorahArticles 10 and 11 refer to humanity in Judaim
10. God knows the thoughts and deeds of men
11. God will reward the good and punish the wickedArticle 12 refer to the coming Anointed One of Israel
12. The Messiah will come
Article 13 refers to end times judgement
13. The dead will be resurrected
Recommended for you:
Judaism fast facts