Glossary of Confucianism
Definitions of terms related to Confucianism.
This glossary of Confucianism provides definitions of terms related to Confucianism, with links to full articles where available.
- (Chinese) virtue
- "teaching" or "religion." Generally refers to a religion, but the word only acquired this meaning around 1900 and does not always mean "religion." The original and literal meaning is "teaching."
- (Chinese) ritual norms
- (Chinese) humaneness or benevolence; central principle of Confucianism
- "Confucian teaching." Confucianism as a philosophy or school of thought.
- "Confucian religion." Refers to Confucianism as a religion or religious group.
- "Confucian learning." Confucianism as a philosophy or school of thought.
- "three teachings." Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism. The phrase originated in 9th-century China.
- (Chinese) reciprocity
- (Chinese) filial piety
- (Chinese) loyalty to one's true nature
- (lit. "principle-teaching.") Religion. Term introduced to China in the late 19th century in the context of Buddhism.