Gomorrah in the Old Testament or Hebrew Bible
Gomorrah was one of the cities in the plain destroyed by fire from heaven in the time of Abraham and Lot (Gen 19:23-29).
It was located probably in the plain South of the Dead Sea, now covered with water.
De Saulcy, however, with others who place the Cities of the Plain at the North end of the Dead Sea, fixes upon Khumran (or Gumran), marked on the Survey Map of Palestine North of Ras Feshkeh, where there are ruins about a mile from the Dead Sea.
- See Sodom
But there is nothing to support this view except the faint resemblance of the name and the inconclusive arguments placing the Cities of the Plain at that end of the sea.
- Return to Bible Places index page.
- Go to Christian biography index page.
- Go to Christianity beliefs index page.
- Go to Christian denominations index page.
- Go to Christian comparison charts index page.
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, which is in the public domain (with minor edits).