Notable People in Buddhism
An introductory list of important people in Buddhism. This will be expanded much further as time permits.
- The Buddha's cousin and one of his primary disciples. He memorized and recited the Buddha's teachings, and so was known as the Dhammabhandagarika, "treasurer of the teachings."
- Dalai Lama
- Leader of Tibet and Tibetan Buddhism. The current Dalai Lama is Tenzin Gyatso.
- The given name of the historical Buddha.
- Nhat Hanh, Thich
- (1926-) Expatriate Vietnamese Zen Buddhist monk, teacher, author, poet and peace activist.
- "Sage of the Sakya tribe." Another name for the historical Buddha.
- John Bowker, ed., Oxford Concise Dictionary of World Religions (Oxford UP, 2000).
- Damien Keown, Oxford Dictionary of Buddhism (Oxford UP, 2003).
- Jonathan Landlaw and Stephen Bodian, Buddhism for Dummies (Wiley, 2003).
- "Buddhism." Encyclopædia Britannica (Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service, 2004).
- "List of Buddhists" - Wikipedia